Monday, September 10, 2007

My Last Day at Work

I remember going for my interview in a white polo-tee and khaki bermudas on a Saturday afternoon in March 2006 with my friends LY and E. It was sunny, hot, and I was perspiring as usual. We walked up the stairs to a nice black and white colonial house and I was received by a gentleman in black uniform, R, with his name on it.

I met S the manager shortly and I went into a nice dining room with tons of wine bottles neatly laid in bookcases and he asked me some questions about myself and before long I got the job and I was told to come in the week after.

I was searching for a part-time job for two reasons, to gain experience in mid-range and above restaurants as well as some extra pocket money. I was very hopeful and I was very willing to learn and somehow S gave me the impression that he had high hopes for me.

That day seemed not too long ago and before I know it, yesterday was my last day at work.

It was both bitter and sweet, much like luxury chocolates, as I am definitely, DEFINITELY, going to miss the companionship of my colleagues whom I've grown to love and know, the beautiful atmosphere of a colonial house done up in modern day fashion, and the wonderful guests that dine with us.

I remember my first month at the restaurant I could barely pour ice water right; I spilled ice and water on the table and had to come in early to practise pouring water! Can you believe how ridiculous that is?

My lack of experience made me fearful of doing things, to the extent that the fear haunted me when I worked and it rendered me powerless to do simple things such as pouring ice water, good lord.

I remember a night when things went really well until a moment of negligence, caused me to tip the tray I was holding, and the glass of wine on it went crashing down on to the guest and my manager had to excuse me, help to remove the wine stain with soda water and offer to pay for laundry expenses.

What I didn't tell you was that after about 5 months at the restaurant I left, as I was overwhelmed by school work and everything else. I wasn't performing at work but somehow I was acing the service skills module in school. I was letting things happen to me at work, such as people's temper and also my fear of inadequacy.

What I am happy to tell you is that shortly after I finished my second year early this year, I went looking for a job again and I smsed my ex-manager S to ask him how he was doing and upon hearing I was looking for a job and that I was cash-strapped, he offered me $8 per hour from the normal $6 per hour and asked only for more commitment of at least 3 times a week.

At that time I was waiting to hear from a tourist attraction offering $10 per hour but I guess the offer was really irresistable, flexible hours and a more than reasonable wage, I couldn't wait any longer and I took the job.

This time, I returned with confidence, I started fresh, and I wasn't going to allow things to happen to me again, I was going to take charge, and I did.

Now I do not fear imperfection as no one is perfect and I can calmly pick up where I left off wrong, I do not take things personally and my focus was that everything is about the guest. I did not whine about polishing plates and glasses each time I start my shift as I recognise the importance of the first impression.

My standards were raised by another assistant manager R. He taught me so much, from ironing, to suggestive selling, to tricks of the trade such as setting tables quickly and effectively, and also to deal with his occassional mood swings.

Oh and the gentleman, R, who received me last year when I went for the interview, he is also promoted to assistant manager. Two assistant managers with the initials R.

Looking back, I have grown so much and I feel proud of myself and I am very thankful that I have been given such an experience to learn from.

I can confidently say that they are going to have a hard time without me, from someone who couldn't even pour ice water right, I went on to manage waiting five tables alone and along the way, I met guests who have touched my life and in turn, I believe I have also touched the lives of others by providing the best service and experience I am capable of.

While I am certainly going to miss that beautiful place I call my second home, I am also happy to move on from F&B to, in my opinion, the best luxury hotel in the world. My experience at the restaurant will definitely positively influence my working attitude and performance during my internship and I can only hope that I learn as much as I have at the restaurant in craft and myself.

I will look back at the restaurant with fond memories, and I look forward to the next time when I shall dine there as a guest.

No comments: