Sunday, September 9, 2007

The Joy of Giving

I remember not too many years ago that I was a participant at Anthony Robbin's Unleash the Power Within in Singapore. I was 16, lost but eager for answers and I saw Tony, as he is affectionately known to the masses, in the papers and I thought if Quincy Jones, Andre Agassi and the likes of these outstanding individuals called him for that extra edge, why not me.

So I went on to piss my mum off, by depositing my first $200 with the events company bringing him in and went on to make 4 more subsequent payments.

When I finished the program, I was so eager to share my new tools and ideals but now that I recall not too many were keen on listening, not too many were looking for answers. But that's not my point, my point is as I think back then, I realised I looked upon Tony as more than an ordinary being and well of course he is extraordinary beyond measure but I didn't think he was a human being.

I believed that if I did all he did, I could reach the same level of success and have everything that I ever wanted, but I learnt after a while, I didn't wanna be him.

4 September 2007, I volunteered to crew at his event Unlimited Power, along with Internet Marketing guru, Stephen Pierce, and relationships expert, Allan Pease. This time, I got to see what happened behind the scenes, I saw these 3 extraordinary beings in an ordinary light for the first time.

Seeing them walking around having conversations with members of their staff, and just seeing them offstage, they look so human, so ordinary, ORDINARY, they could be that stranger in a business setting the way the looked.

Somehow it was good to see them that way, that they have kids, they have problems but the difference is that they are extraordinary in applying the principles they preach, they are the doers, and that's why it's always good to hear it's possible and when you listen to how they have come from such humble beginnings, I know it's possible.

Crewing is a tradition that I don't really remember how it came about but each time you attend any of Tony's event, it's the crew that really makes it happen because they come in the throngs of hundreds, maybe even halfway round the globe just to volunteer their time and energy, to help with logistics, security, registration and the many other things that happen during the events.

And by being an attendee of his events, you automatically qualify as a volunteer, because you know what the environment is like, how things happen, the energy level and it is most importantly, a platform for you to give without expecting anything in return.

Well when I went for the briefing it was the same thing, lotsa energy and enthusiasm. This was also where we were asked, why are we here.

Some came because they were fans of the speakers, some came because they wanted to help and learn behind the scenes, some were paid, one, was forced to come by his sister.

For me, the only reason I came, with no hidden agendas, was to serve the people because before I was a firewalker, they made it possible, without them, I wouldn't have been able to walk six feet of burning coals without so much as a mark with no training whatsoever.

But what I also saw was the two sides of a human being.

Some people were being just plain superficial, the whole energy and all was as good as a show, egos needed to be kept in check, communication was a total flop and considering that the company has been doing this for its entire lifespan it shocks me that they have not established a system that allows for all these to take place seamlessly.

And I realised, that the whole tradition of crewing was ruined by the company as most 'crew' around me were receiving payment which was a totally disgusting idea because I bothered to email the company to volunteer myself and they told me that they had considered my proposition not to pay up for any ticket and ALLOW me to CREW. The audacity.

But surprisingly when I found out towards the end of the day, after dealing with angry participants who were late and expecting us to rush for them, doing a lot of manual labor, doing sales, being on your feet most of the time, it felt amazing to be one of those who give without expecting to receive.

I believe that my 3 hours of sleep for a full day event was worth every bit as I want to believe I touched every soul that I met and gave all that I could.

I think that's one of my qualities that many consider "allowing others to take advantage" but it's something that's me, I own it, and it's the same as it is at work when I'm at the beautiful restaurant.

Tempers may flare, things might go wrong, but when has anything ever gone all right? :D It's all in a day's work and really it's all about the people, and the joy of giving.

The joy of giving, you really gotta give it a go, it's addictive.

No comments: